Single, Sarcastic, and Spectacular in FL

A 20-something grad student's rants about life and finding a man.

Monday, February 9, 2009

25 Random Things. You're Welcome.

1. I have never broken a bone. I sprained my ankle pretty bad at gymnastics when I was about 8, and when I wouldn’t stop crying, my Dad said, “Okay, if it's that bad we’re going to the emergency room.” I was so scared to go to the doctor that I sucked it up and dealt with the pain.
2. I am the favorite child. I’m laughing as I write this, but it’s true. It’s not because I’m so great, but my sister is so headstrong and outspoken and I’m more go with the flow, so my parents and I have a better relationship, overall.
3. I am terrified of snakes, but last year, when I had a couple of drinks one night, I let this guy put his boa constrictor around my neck and I kept it there long enough to take several pictures for proof.
4. I don't like confrontation. I avoid it at all costs.
5. I hide behind my sunglasses (think of Adam Sandler’s parenting technique in Big Daddy). I wear them even on cloudy days and I put them on immediately after I leave the gym, even when I’m not out of the building yet, to hide my red, sweaty face. I feel much more confident with them on.
6. I always have to sleep with at least 3 pillows. One under my head, one between my knees, and one for me to wrap my arms around. This is how I’m most comfortable and it’s almost impossible for me to sleep without all three.
7. Whenever I cross an intersection, I secretly whisper to the car approaching, “please don’t run me over,” and so far, they haven’t!
8. I love to fly. I live near an international airport as well as a couple of smaller, private airports, and whenever I see a plane in the air, I always wish I was on it. I always wonder where they are going and wish that I was going too. I love to always be going!
9. Whenever I watch one of my favorite shows, such as the Office or LOST or 30 Rock, I get giddy. I laugh hysterically, even when I’m watching them by myself, on my computer. Me, myself, and I could watch those shows all day long!
10. I’m obsessed with cute little notepads. I must have a hundred of them lying around, all serving a different purpose. One is a food journal, one is for my grocery list, one is for my random thoughts, one for my daily to-do lists, one for long-term goals, et cetera, et cetera.
11. I always have to get a Sunday paper. No other day of the week, but Sunday. I like to go through all the ad papers and clip coupons. The thing is, I hardly ever use them. I just cut them out, put them in a little divided binder sorted into categories, and then inevitably throw them away three months later when they expire. I also like to read the funnies.
12. I’m always reading dating tips, cooking tips, beauty tips, and exercise tips online. I love self-help articles and every once in a while I’ll come across something I didn’t know before, but for the most part, I’ve heard them all. I just can’t help but want to better myself all the time.
13. I’m a Christian, an imperfect Christian, but I believe everything that the Bible says. I believe in giving everything back to God and try to thank Him on a daily basis for all of my blessings.
14. I have the most wonderful, supportive parents. No, they aren’t perfect, nor do they have the perfect marriage, but my Dad has told me on several occasions that he would give his life for my mom, my sister, my brother-in-law, or me. I always have a parental net to catch me if I fall or fail (which has happened more than once) and I am so eternally grateful for that.
15. I would have loved to get a degree in Literature and I was really good at analyzing different passages in my classes, but I couldn’t come up with a good enough career in my mind in that field, so I went the opposite direction and stuck with science and math, even though they were my least favorite subjects.
16. I can’t wait for my sister to have a baby, but I selfishly want her to wait until I’m finished with school so that I can move back closer and be near them when she does. I’m thinking no such luck.
17. I am constantly talking to myself and have recently started mumbling to myself OUT LOUD. I am certain that people think I’m crazy, but it’s just my way of communicating. I’ve lived by myself for a while now and I really like to hear what I have to say, so I can’t see myself stopping anytime soon.
18. I look very young. Mind you, I am only in my early twenties, but I would say I look 16, maybe. Seriously. I really don’t mind, though, but my subconscious always thinks more guys would hit on me if they knew I was older.
19. I always say that I’m socially awkward, but really I’m not. I can hold a conversation really well with almost anyone and I attribute this to the fact that I keep up with current events and news and try to have an opinion formed about most things. I’m not afraid to approach people I don’t know and am actually more comfortable around strangers.
20. My weaknesses are ice cream, pizza, and cookies. You know what, I just like food. All of it. Unfortunately, I view food emotionally and not as nourishment in order to survive and have energy. I need it to make me feel good, dammit!
21. I stupidly took my young puppy to Fourth of July fireworks a couple years ago and when the first one went off, she pooped---she diarrheaed (my word)---all over me and my cute sundress. Needless to say, we left immediately and she wouldn’t take her tail out from under herself for hours after that because she was so shaken up. I felt horrible!
22. I don’t recycle. I leave the water running when I brush my teeth, I waste paper towels and I drive an SUV. But, I do care about the environment. Just not enough, I guess.
23. When anyone calls me and asks what I’m doing, I almost always say that I’m studying, and I’m almost NEVER studying.
24. I email with my 85 year old grandmother about twice a month. It astounds me how computer-savvy she is!
25. I was in the “gifted program” in elementary school and got to go to a special school one day a week with the other smart kids. It was fun, but probably a waste of time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home